Sunday, April 5, 2015

Two Cultures

Two cultures: the intellectuals and the scientists. To every average person this can be seen as –Two cultures: the left and right brain. These writers want to stay clear of the disconnect between these two types of people and try to find the bridge that connects them. Some say it is the contemporary scientists and others say it is the artists that play an important role to bridge the gap. As a whole, I believe these authors consider the fact that creativity plays a part in the way scientists think as well as the artists, but in different ways. There is no left and right brain; everyone uses both sides just in individual ways.

Since I am a transfer student, the whole north vs. south campus debate was new to me. I am a psychology major and for the longest time I had no idea which side of the campus to identify with. Franz hall is pretty much in the middle of campus. For me, psychology is a hard science because I am interested in the neuropsychology field, but to others psychology is seen as a soft science because some say it is all "talk." I looked it up and technically psychology is a north campus major, but I honestly don’t identify with either side of the campus. For more opinions on the north vs. south campus debate click here.


I am on board with finding the “Third Culture” and connecting the point of the triangle. I never truly thought about the combination of arts and science as a whole, but I think this is where the next big thing is going to come from. Instead of dividing ourselves up, coming together could create something incredible. These new perspectives could really benefit me in the “real world” after graduation. Believing that there is a middle ground between artists and scientists is opening your mind to something that hasn’t been accepted yet. Being on the forefront of this new change could put me ahead of some people that haven’t caught up to modern thinking.  

Citations 
Forward Thinkers Stay Ahead of the Curve. Digital image. Forecast: Innovations. 9 Dec 2012. Web.
Kaykas-Wolff, Jascha. Communication Breakdown: Left Brain vs. Right Brain. Digital image. Mindjet. 11           May 2012. Web.
Phi Mu Alpha Fraternity. North Campus. UCLA Campus: North and South. Digital image. Michael                   Mohlman. Web.

References 
Bohm, D. "On Creativity." Leonardo 1.2 (1968): 137-49. JSTOR. Web. 4 Apr. 2015.
Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. New York: Cambridge UP, 1959. Print.
Vesna, Victoria. "Toward A Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. JSTOR.            Web. 5 Apr. 2015.
Wilson, Stephen. "Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology." Presented                   at College Art Association Meetings (2000). Print.


3 comments:

  1. I like your connection between the two cultures and left and right brain. I think that it really highlights the point in lecture about the divide being artificial- exactly how you point out that no one is actually "left brained" or "right brained", people simply utilize both aspects in unique ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina, like you I am also a transfer student and was unaware about the division between the north and south side of campus. Prior to going to UCLA I thought the only competition I would ever face was being considered good enough amongst my peers to get accepted to such an institution in the first place. After going to UCLA I was apart of a number of scenarios in which the discussion between the two halves of campus came up, for the most part it seems that by default the students from the south side side are considered brighter and more introverted as opposed to the students from the northern half. I agree with you in regards to a positive relationship coming from the combination of both art and science, these two cultures have had a tremendous impact in both positive and negative ways in our history and I believe these two will continue to have an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you came to a conclusion that understanding the connection of the two could help for post college life. I think that is super accurate. That we as a generation realize that this separation is becoming closer together and can bloom into beautiful things is important.

    ReplyDelete